May - October 2021
We are looking for...
Startups that can help better the financial lives of Canadians.
Millions of Canadians are struggling to pay for today, save for tomorrow, and plan for the unexpected. Over 50% of Canadians spend more than or equal to their income every month. 1/3rd aren’t able to pay all their bills on time and in full. Fintech can fill the gap.
Whether offering creative new financial products for consumers, or solving persistent barriers to inclusion and accessibility in our existing financial services sector, we are looking for ideas that help Canadians build financial health and resilience.
Here are some examples of opportunity areas that we focus on:
Why IFH Lab?
We started IFH Lab because we saw a gap in what was out there for entrepreneurs addressing financial health challenges – industry-specific support delivered by mentors and industry experts who were mission-aligned, experienced, and in a position to really make things happen.
IFH Lab is designed specifically to address this gap. We work with our founders to adjust and adapt the program as we go, to make sure we are addressing your real pain points, learning goals and challenges. This isn’t about teaching you entrepreneurship 101.
As part of the program, selected startups will receive access to:
- Mentorship: Personalized guidance from over 80+ Industry Experts. Our mentors are VPs at 8+ financial institutions, fintech founders that have scaled companies, directors at fintech and impact venture capital firms, global experts in financial health, and more.
- Community: A cohort of like-minded entrepreneurs to exchange best practices, and access to a broader network of investors and partners.
- Programming: Bi-weekly, 2-3 hour sessions on topics most relevant to financial health entrepreneurs from value proposition to regulation to impact measurement.
- Software Credits: Credits to our software partner providers including Plaid, IBM, Zendesk, and more.
Most importantly, we care about your mission and your goals. We equally support entrepreneurs looking to build venture-backed businesses and those looking to build non-profits.
Our First Year in Numbers
an early-stage fintech company with a demonstrated commitment to improving the financial lives of Canadians with…
- At least one full-time employee
- A product in market with some users (test users/pilots included)
- Incorporated in Canada, or with plans to incorporate in Canada by the end of the cohort
Fintech Cadence is committed to fostering a community that includes diverse perspectives in the development of new fintech innovations. We actively seek applicants who are from, or who have worked closely at the community level with historically marginalized groups. This includes but is not limited to First Nations, Inuit or Metis people, people of colour, people with disabilities, LGBTQIA+ people, recent immigrants and people from low-income families.